Butternut squash is rich in immune boosting beta-carotene and vitamin C. Ginger and chilli provide wonderful warming support for the respiratory system. Coconut holds a wealth of health benefits including plenty of good fats, as well as unique antibacterial properties in the form of monolaurin and lauric acid.
- 1cm piece of ginger, grated
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and pasted
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and chopped into pieces about 1 inch thick
- 1 small mild chilli, finely chopped (check on your tongue for heat levels)
- 250ml vegetable or chicken stock
- ½ can coconut milk (approx 200ml)
- Chopped coriander and a sprinkle of paprika to serve - optional
- Melt a little coconut oil in a medium saucepan and cook your onion until soft. Next add in your garlic and ginger and cook for no more than a minute. Then the butternut chunks and chopped chilli. Give everything a good stir and add in the stock.
- Place a lid on and cook for 10-15 minutes until butternut is cooked through.
- Take off the heat and pulse with a hand blender until smooth. Finally add in the coconut milk.
- Garnish with coriander and paprika and serve.
- For adults - this is delicious with a pinch of salt.