Download Our Key Stage 2 – Literacy – February Story Writing Worksheet Here
- To plan their writing by identifying the audience for and purpose of the writing
- To note and develop initial ideas, drawing on reading and research
- To consider how authors have developed characters and settings
- The Magic Faraway Tree by Enid Blyton
- Stick man by Julia Donaldson
- Into the Forest by Anthony Browne
- Share stories from the selection above
- Discuss how the forest setting played a role in the stories
Pick and tell
-Ask each child to explore the forest and find three items that interest them
-Put all the items in a big bag
-Pass the bag around and ask each child to pull out an object and then give them a few minutes to think about its role in a story
-Start a snowball story with ‘Once upon a time, a group of children visited a forest/wood…’
-Ask each child in turn to add a few words or sentences to the story inspired by their natural object.
-Start a new story with a different opener, and with new objects when the first one is finished. You can keep going for as long as you want!