Sometimes all we need is a bowl of warming, homemade soup...
Cooking is fun and can be a great relaxing and bonding activity for your family. Make this delicious, immune-boosting butternut squash soup from Cooking Them Healthy with your little ones. It can be thrown together in no time and makes the perfect lunch or light dinner.
Butternut Squash, Chilli & Coconut Soup - Serves 4
Butternut squash is rich in immune boosting beta-carotene and vitamin C. Ginger and chilli provide wonderful warming support for the respiratory system. Coconut holds a wealth of health benefits including plenty of good fats, as well as unique antibacterial properties in the form of monolaurin and lauric acid.Ingredients:
- 1cm piece of ginger, grated
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and pasted
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and chopped into pieces about 1 inch thick
- 1 small mild chilli, finely chopped (check on your tongue for heat levels)
- 250ml vegetable or chicken stock
- ½ can coconut milk (approx 200ml)
- Chopped coriander and a sprinkle of paprika to serve - optional
- Melt a little coconut oil in a medium saucepan and cook your onion until soft. Next add in your garlic and ginger and cook for no more than a minute. Then the butternut chunks and chopped chilli. Give everything a good stir and add in the stock.
- Place a lid on and cook for 10-15 minutes until butternut is cooked through.
- Take off the heat and pulse with a hand blender until smooth. Finally add in the coconut milk.
- Garnish with coriander and paprika and serve.
- For adults - this is delicious with a pinch of salt.