The School Holidays are almost here and if you’re looking to plan a fun break with your little ones, a Staycation is the perfect solution. By staying in the UK you can cut down on travel costs and time, choose a more eco-friendly holiday, and make the most of the incredible beaches, forests and wide range of attractions that the UK has to offer.
We’ve put together a handy guide to our top 10 staycations around the UK, to help you plan an exciting and memorable getaway with your nearest and dearest.
1) Forest Holidays, locations around the UKForest Holidays have incredible cabin locations in 12 of the most beautiful Forests that the UK has to offer – across Cheshire, Nottinghamshire, Yorkshire, Hampshire, Gloucestershire, Cornwall, Norfolk, Scotland and Wales. What makes them really special is that every single one of their cabins has a private outdoor hot tub, and they have an incredible range of activities on offer (from forest survival, nature trails and foraging, to archery, kayaking, craft activities and animal experiences), so little ones will never be bored. There are also plenty of cycling and walking trails so you can really experience the Forest together – perfect for reconnecting as a family.
2) Bedruthan Hotel & Spa, Cornwall
Bedruthan Hotel & Spa is a beautiful family-run hotel in Mawgan Porth, a small Cornish village between Newquay and Padstow. On the edge of Mawgan Porth beach, a beautifully sandy cove, it the perfect UK beach destination for young families. There is so much on offer to make holidaying with little ones easier – from family spa slots, to the incredible outdoor play area, indoor and outdoor swimming pools, tennis courts, indoor cinema room, children’s arts and crafts, and registered babysitters. They also provide buggies, bottle warmers, and even unbreakable plastic dinnerware in their restaurant, to make dining out a breeze. It’s perfectly situated for days out, however with so much on offer, you’ll never want to leave!
3) Center Parcs, locations around the UKCenter Parcs is the perfect destination for family getaways in the UK, with their incredible Subtropical Swimming Paradise, over 200 indoor and outdoor activities on offer, family-friendly restaurants, amazing play areas, man-made beaches, and their award-winning Aqua Sana Spa. Everything at Center Parcs is designed around bringing families together, and with villages in Bedfordshire, Wiltshire, Suffolk, Nottinghamshire, Cumbria and Ireland, a Center Parcs break is accessible from almost anywhere in the UK. We love the wide range of children’s activities – from Aerial Tree Trekking, to Family Go Karts, Pony Rides, Football Fun Factory, and even Mini Jet Skis, there is plenty on offer to thrill children of all ages.
4) Kielder Waterside, NorthumberlandKielder Forest in Northumberland is a truly astounding haven for wildlife in the UK, and is home to Ospreys, Red Squirrels, Roe Deer, Water Voles, Otters and Badgers. It’s the UK’s largest Forest and is home to the biggest man-made lake in Northern Europe. It also has the best dark skies in England – perfect for young stargazing enthusiasts. Kielder Waterside Village is home to traditional log cabins with BBQ’s and Hot Tubs, as well as luxury lodges. It has an on-site Gastro Pub with breath-taking views across the lake, a heated pool, gym, Bird of Prey Centre, and fishing experiences on offer. The ideal getaway for nature lovers of all ages.
5) Featherdown Farms, locations around the UKFeatherdown Farms have over 75 locations across Europe, which give you an incredible opportunity to stay on a working farm, in one of their magical canvas hideaways. They offer guests a simpler way of life, with no electricity or wifi, providing an incredible opportunity to go off-grid and spend quality time with the family. There are some amazing experiences available, from tours with the farmer, to meeting the farm animals, and learning where food comes from. The perfect Countryside retreat that will delight little ones.
6) Scaldersitch Farm, Peak DistrictScaldersitch Farm offers boutique camping in the Peak District, in beautiful yurts and tipis. Set just 1 mile from Hartington Village, there are plenty of walks into some of the most picturesque parts of the Peak District. There is also a good choice of pubs, village shops and a farm shop just a short walk away. All the yurts and tipis have wood burning stoves to keep you cosy whatever the weather, luxury furnishings, and a private wood fired hot tub just outside. The perfect place to wake up to the sound of birdsong and fall asleep to the hoot of an owl under the stars.
7) Saunton Sands Hotel, DevonSaunton Sands Hotel is an iconic art deco Hotel & Spa, situated on a picturesque cliff top on the North Devon coast, overlooking Saunton Sands – one of the most beautiful beaches in the UK. This really is an incredible beach getaway, and with huge indoor and outdoor pools, luxury spa and plenty of entertainment for little ones including a brilliant kids club (so that Mum and Dad can enjoy the spa) it’s the perfect choice for a sunny Devon escape.
8) Sandy Balls Holiday Park, HampshireSet in the heart of the New Forest national park, Sandy Balls Holiday Park is a brilliant staycation destination for young families. The New Forest is a fantastic area for curious little ones, with an array of wildlife, nature trails, and cycle paths; and seeing the wild ponies roaming around the heathland is a magical experience. Sandy Balls has indoor and outdoor pools, a spa, outdoor cinema, arcade, adventure playground, indoor soft play area, and a range of interesting activities – from alpaca walks to body zorbing, archery and horse riding. Peppa Pig World is also only a 20 minute drive away, a dream come true for young Peppa and George fans.
9) Port Lympne Hotel & Reserve, KentPort Lympne is a safari park near Hythe, on the Kent coast. It’s home to over 900 rare and endangered animals including big cats, small cats, primates and gorillas, and it even has a ‘Dinosaur Forest’ with the largest collection of life-sized dinosaurs in Europe. For a truly magical experience, Port Lympne offers incredible short breaks, where you have the option to stay in their award-winning treehouse hotel, a stargazing bubble, glamping lodge, shepherds hut, or one of their amazing luxury lodges with tigers, lions, giraffes or rhinos that come right up to your bedroom window. It really is the ultimate getaway for animal lovers.
10) Peaks and Pods, Yorkshire
Peaks and Pods offer luxury glamping pods at Boustagill Farm, a working dairy farm in Settle, on the edge of the Yorkshire Dales National Park. The handcrafted pods are warm and comfy all year round, and with hot tubs, festoon lighting, cocoon swing seats, underfloor heating, and breath-taking views over the Yorkshire countryside, you’ll never want to leave. There’s also ‘The Hub’ which is a comfy social space with a wood-fired pizza oven for guests to use, and they have stargazing kits and movie kits available – perfect for creating some really special glamping memories with your little ones.
If you do decide to book a Staycation this Summer, we hope you have the most amazing time. If you take any photos of your little ones in their Muddy Puddles waterproofs, please remember to tag us @muddypuddlesuk – we love seeing your photos!